Monday, February 15, 2016

The Beginning of an Adventure!

Right now I am sitting on a couch in a country half way around the world from where I would normally be. I can still hear people screaming and cheering in the courtyard outside my room as they play some drinking game that I'm sure wouldn't be nearly as fun as if they were sober. Due to this grand adventure I will (hopefully) be recording what is going on and my thoughts during the whole adventure here so that I can look back at it and others can look at it and know what I'm up to. Today I will record my thoughts on the first few days of this adventure (Warning: it's going to be long).


First flight: Got a window seat! Hurray! A lady sat next to me. The plane didn't have any TV screens originally on the backs of the seats or that come down from the section above your heads (I'm not sure what they're called). This made me very upset at first because I wasn't sure how the heck I was supposed to entertain myself! However shortly after the flight began I discovered that they had WiFi on the plane and that they seem to assume that you would just use your mobile device to stream movies and stuff. We could also use our electronic devices during take off and landing as long as they were on flight mode. I'm used to them forcing us to turn off all electronic devices. I felt like an old lady being amazed by the technology on planes nowadays.

Second flight: Got a window seat again! Hurray! This time a guy sat next to me. He was from Puerto Rico (I know this not because I talked to him but because I sneaked a look at his passport and it was a Puerto Rico passport). I didn't like him as much because he was larger than the lady last time and he kept moving around and bumping me. The entertainment setup for this plane was the same as the last plane I took but the stupid internet wouldn't work for me!

Between flights: I got off my second flight and was super happy to discover that my next flight was right across from me so I knew where I needed to go and had time to get food. Super exciting. Well I went and got food and have now decided that LAX is stupid because the food was stupidly expensive. Never again. I also didn't know what half the food places were. After eating my crumby food (crumby as in "not the best" not crumby as in "leaves a bunch of crumbs") I went to my terminal and was shortly told that we would be taking a bus to our plane 30 minutes before we were supposed to take off. At the time I didn't understand why the heck the plane wasn't coming to us if that was the terminal I was supposed to be at. I now understand that I was in the domestic airport and the bus would take me to the international airport where the plane would be leaving (why you have to be so confusing airports??). As I was waiting for the bus two other men came and were waiting on the bus. Since I didn't have anything better to do I eavesdropped on the conversation which happened to be about long plane rides. They must have traveled a lot because one of the guys was talking about how if you go on a specific flight to Africa then you need to be in this row because of this and all sorts of other stuff that made me feel like an amateur. When we finally got on the bus one of these men asked me if I had been on a long flight before. After saying no he asked if I could fall asleep on planes. I warily said yes and he said I would be fine. I hoped he was right. After reaching our destination by bus the five of us walked into the airport again and started following some man that worked there that said to follow him to our plane and assured us it wasn't that far. I don't know what he considers to be far but I sure don't want to experience that because I was huffing and panting by the time we got to our plane. We were the last ones to board but at least we made it.

Third Flight: Window seat!! Woohoo...except because I was so slow at boarding the airplane and ended up making a small scene because I had to make the two people sitting next to me move and then ask someone to help me put my carry-on in the over head bin because I am much to short to reach it on that humongous plane. After getting situated I discovered that this plane had individual TV screens on the back of the seats and had a remote underneath. This was pretty freaking cool. You could select a movie, TV Show, TV channel, Radio Station, CD, and all sorts of other things. Not to mention you could play games on it! If you flipped the remote over it was a game console thing so you could play a game. I don't know about you but I think that's pretty stinking cool. They also had a chat function where you could specifically chat with another person on the plane using their seat number or you could go in the chat room and talk to random people on the plane. The only bummer was that it didn't have WiFi. I don't know about you but that confused me but whatever they had a ton of other ways for you to entertain yourself. As for the person sitting next to me. He was also a student going to study abroad except he was going to New Zealand. I believe his major had something to do with Forestry which I thought was cool and we could have some good conversations because we have similar majors. Now then, how do I know all this about him? Obviously because I talked to him right? Wrong. I was eavesdropping on his conversation with the other person that was sitting next to him. He completely ignored me the whole flight. Why? Because there was a "gorgeous Australian" sitting next to him (mind you those are his words and he did say that to the girl sitting next to him at one point. Before he started his conversation with his new best friend he looked at me and then looked at her and started a conversation with her. This started at the beginning of the flight and I didn't put any earbuds or start listening to music or anything for a while because I thought "We're all around the same age. We are going to be on a super long flight together. He already started a conversation with the person next to him surely they make ask me a question just out of courtesy. Nope. Completely ignored. Well whatever. Also I realized later that even if I had wanted to listen to music I wouldn't have been able to because this plane actually made you turn off your electronic devices. These two were having lovely conversations about their lives and whatever else you talk about when you flirt but some of this conversation occurred while safety explanation thing was being done that they always do on flights. I personally thought it took the flight attendant to do anything about it because they were talking through most of it but she did end up talking to them so they had to be quiet after that and I may have been too happy about that happening. Other than being ignored the flight was fine. I got two meals which I wasn't expecting (dinner and breakfast). They also had the plane ride set up so that you would eat dinner and then sleep and the eat breakfast and then we were there in the morning. It was super awesome and I think it helped with jet lag a lot. So I slept for most of the flight. After getting of the plane I saw the two "love birds" hugging and parting ways like they had become the closest of friends when realistically they probably only talked to each other for about 5 hours at the most. I don't understand.


There you go lovelies. That was my adventure getting to Australia. The next post will hopefully be more exciting with actual pictures of stuff happening but I shall leave it at that for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment